Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Perspective change

Having a baby changes your perspective.  Having a baby who spends the first two weeks of her life in the Neonatal intensive care unit changes everything about your perspective.  I'm sitting here typing this watching my daughter move around on the couch of the hotel room and I can't help but realize how fundamentally changed I am.

But at the same time, I'm the exact same person.  Isn't that an odd feeling?

I fully believe I have changed since she was born.  I no longer take shit from morons.  I speak my mind in ways I never would have before.  And I find myself fighting for things I never knew I cared that much about before.  Because of her. 

I also accept that while I love her and everything about her, she's not the only thing in my life.  Yes, I have taken longer to type this post than I have other posts... and it may be because she keeps looking at me with her "pick me up papa" eyes and I have no will power against those.  But I am still me. And I like that too. 

I am always find the two camps of parenthood "Nothing changes with a baby" or "everything changes with a baby, and so do you as a person" interesting.  Yes, having a baby is different, but that doesn't mean you as a person are suddenly changed and everything is different.  You can still be you in spite of having a kid.  And that is awesome. 

Life has changed.  There is a little person who deserves all your attention and love.  Life has changed, but I am still me and my partner is still him.  We just have a new compartment inside.  That compartment is called "baby girl" and it's being currently filled by the cutest kid ever.  Which is completely awesome. 

Until Next Time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment