Thursday, December 18, 2014

Looking ahead to 2015

I don't do New Years Resolutions.  Let's be honest, no one keeps those anyway.  I know I never have in the past.

So this year I am trying something  new.  I am creating a plan, a plan to make 2015 my year.  More my year than what I hope happens outside of my control.  So the last couple of days I have been sitting down to map out my 2015, logically.  This is what I have come up with so far.

Outside of my control:

Adopt a baby, hopefully.  We have been trying for 4 years already to start a family.  We have gone several different routes, including attempting to adopt from foster care, and so far we have been thwarted at every turn.  2015 we are renewing our hopes of starting a family and bringing a baby into our household.  This is mostly outside of our control, though, so while we can only do so much we are still hoping 2015 is our year to start our family.  In the beginning of the year we are going to finish our homestudy update.  That is pretty much where our ability to control the situation ends, haha.  We have selected a new placing agency and hopefully we will be picked and things will get moving in the right direction.

Inside my control:

Get good grades.  I start back in school to finish my bachelors in January and I am excited and terrified at the same time.  Because of some mix ups with my associates degree, I have to retake a course which puts my Spring semester hours up to 17.  That includes two sciences with labs and one of them happens to be Chemistry.  I am not a big fan of chemistry, not at all.  So I hope to be able to have enough in me to make 17 hours quick work and make good grades.

Lose weight.  Losing weight is the bane of my existence but it is a requirement.  I have a horribly high BMI, and while I will never fit into the perfect box for my BMI, my doctor has explained that if I can get my numbers down by about 10% I can come off medications for my blood pressure.  My goal is to lose around 25% of my body weight in 2015, and it is doable.

Medication free 2015.  Hand in hand with my weight loss goals is my want to get off my medication.  I am lucky enough to only take one medication for my blood pressure, and it is directly related to my weight.  So I have to lose 10% to get rid of the pills and that is a huge goal in 2015.

Mindful meditation.  Most of my adult life I have done a practice of mindful meditation.  In 2014 that has fallen by the wayside for a number of reasons.  In 2015 I am bringing that back.  I am such a nicer person when I get some time for me to just sit and breathe and accept life's woes and triumphs.

Write more.  I love to write, so every year I make a goal to write more.  2015 will be my year to write more!

So those are the main goals of 2015.  The difference in setting goals is I'm not waiting till Jan 1 to put some of those into play.  Grades and homestudy and adoption all have to wait, but I'm slowly working myself into the other three.  Part of my hatred for New Years resolutions is the shock to the system that seems to happen while you give up everything you deem bad for you.  It's unsustainable.  So I have already started on weight loss and meditation.  Those are another post though.

What are your goals for 2015?  Do you do New Years Resolutions or just decide throughout the year?

Until Next Time!

2 comments:

  1. I love the goals you have laid out! Keep us updated on how they go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the goal! Well, one of the goals. Maybe that should be listed in my goals I can control... "Continue to update blog on how goals are doing". It's kind of a show all goal though! lol.

      Delete