Friday, June 13, 2014

FTSF and Father's day in pride month

So I stayed away from the mother's day FTSF post... and I thought about seriously staying away from the father's day post, but I figured since we are doing a pride month here, I can structure it to be pride oriented, and not so much about my parents.

But I am going to take this on a little journey, and throw it out there pride style.

Today's Finish The Sentence Friday post is "Dear Dad..."

Dear Dad,

Take a deep breath, it will be okay.  I know, when you first hear the words "I'm gay" your immediate reaction may be to freak out.  That is not okay.  First, take that deep breath.  That boy in front of you saying those words?  He's still your son.  That girl who now hangs her head after telling you?  She is your daughter in need of some reassurance.  Reach your hand out, embrace your child.  They have just shared with you something that is going to forever change their life.  It's okay to have mixed feelings on the subject.  It's okay to need time.  But remember, that person in front of you talking, that is the child you have raised.  That is your child.  The one who has looked up to you, has needed your help, has been with you since they were young.  And right now, they need you again.  They need to know that you got their back on this one.

Take a deep breath, it will be okay.  The child in front of you is still the same child that he has always been.  She is no different than she was yesterday, it's just now she trusts you to open up to you about her life.  Please don't push him away.  Please don't make her feel like she is less than she was yesterday.  This is still your child.

Take a deep breath, it will still be okay.  The world hasn't stopped spinning just because your kid came out to you.  The sun is still setting tonight, it will still rise tomorrow.  There will be no cataclysmic event just because those words "I'm gay" were uttered.  If you need to take a moment to yourself, that is okay.  Just don't make a big deal about it, she doesn't need to see that her father thinks less of her.  Feel free to talk about it, all of it, but make sure it's with the right person.  Your teen who just came out?  He is not the right person to dump your fears and bigotry on.  There are people in the world who have gone through everything you are going through, seek them out.  But remember, your child just trusted you enough to let you in on their secret, treat that with respect.

Sun through the ice covered trees.  (c) Hawk
Take a deep breath, the world is still turning and everything is still okay.  No one is expecting you to be superman, and you don't have to expect that out of yourself.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and you probably find that your feelings aren't sorted out in one either.  Embrace your feelings, all the while remembering your child shared their soul with you.  Treat that appropriately.

In closing, I just want to say that as long as you remember to breathe, the world will be okay.

This post is a part of the Finish the Sentence Friday blog hop.  Find out more below!
Janine's Confessions of A Mommyaholic

6 comments:

  1. You said a mouthful here and will say as a mom that I love my girls no matter what. If either of them ended up being gay, I truly couldn't or wouldn't be able to love them any less. So, honestly couldn't agree with your message more. Thank you for sharing and linking up with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope more parents end up like you in the long run. So many parents just abandon their children and it just kills me every time. I hope are the world continues to grow, more people continue to take the attitude of "this is my child...".

      Delete
  2. Great post. I hope you don't mind, I posted it to Have a Gay Day's wall on Facebook. I just think you really covered a lot of what a parent would go through finding this out, and your advice and words are just awesome. I don't know what I'd do if one of my kids told me they were gay. Considering I have all daughters, I'd probably be trilled I wouldn't have to worry about birth control. I'd probably be like, "So that talk we had about sex, we probably need a do-over."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all. I hope this can help a parent realize you don't have to shame your child or kick them out on the street!

      Delete
  3. I will 100% embrace my son no matter who he chooses to love and be attracted to (as long as it's people - sorry - my awkward attempt at levity). This is a beautiful and important post. I wish more people would accept that being gay doesn't mean any dreams are lost. Here's to deep breaths and acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very sad that this letter needs to still be written. It is a brilliant letter and one that should be shared far and wide. Should either of my kids turn out to be gay I hope the first words out of my mouth are "thank you so much for sharing this with me. I love you."

    ReplyDelete