Saturday, June 14, 2014

One more reason I love pride

First off, thank you all who visited yesterday!  I had a record number of unique visits tot he blog... which was nice.  So yay!

My Partner asked me today what I was going to write about, and I was really struggling to come up with something.  I have a lot of things floating in my head, several started in drafts, but in all honesty nothing was coming to me as being interesting today.  So I decided to write about why I love going to Pride parades.  Yeah, not as riveting a post as it could be, but we'll all survive. 
photo credit: Adam Foster | Codefor via photopin cc

The biggest reason I love going to pride is because I see people who aren't afraid to be themselves. I know my partner and I aren't as relaxed out in public as we could be, but at pride we just don't care what other people see (for the most part).  Very rarely, at least here, do you see two people of the same sex who love each other who will hold hands in public, or lean against their significant other.  It's just not done, and a lot of that is fear.  Fear of people's reactions.  Fear of people screaming that you are shoving your gay "down their throats" (a phrase I still snicker uncontrollably when I hear.).  Fear that they will have to deal with a confrontation and it's just not worth it.  But at pride, you see people of all shapes and sizes, genders and races, acting like it's the most natural thing in the world to just be with each other.  I like that a lot about pride.

photo credit: DoNotLick via photopin cc


A lesser, but still kinda awesome reason I love pride, is the people themselves.  There are so many different booths set up at pride, things a lot of people have never even heard of, and it's all there to show their support for the GLBT community. You can find out information on churches in your area that support GLBT rights.  You can find businesses who have non discrimination clauses in their hirings.  You can find restaurants to support.  It is just amazing how many different aspects there are to pride and how much information you can find out about your community.

photo credit: Mike Slichenmyer via photopin cc

And last, but not least, Pride is just fun!  Even here, in a city that is pretty gay friendly, but a state that is solidly red, we have a blast at pride.  There are certain events everyone feels they must go to, and I agree.  The biggest being the drag shows!  What is more fun than queens on the stage lip singing to entertain you?  They take so much pleasure in their art and I can't help but take so much pleasure in watching their show.  But there is so much more than just that.  Here we have bands and singers who come out live, we have comics who entertain you, and then there is just the random hanging out that happens.  Meeting new friends, making new goals, and just hanging out knowing that you won't be judged for just being who you are.

Pride is an amazing thing to witness.  Even if you aren't in the GLBT community, I encourage you to find a pride somewhere near you this June and just get out there and enjoy yourself.  You will not regret it, I promise. 


Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment