Sunday, June 22, 2014

Happy Pride!!

So Saturday, we attended a pride parade up in Columbus, OH.  It was Takei's pride and it was pretty damn awesome!  It was the first time my partner and I had been to an actual pride parade.  Our city just has a festival, not so much a parade.  The 2.5 hour parade was so diverse and so awesome!  It's amazing to see so many people who are just out there to live and let live!

I took quite a few pictures, but below I'll show just a few highlights from everything!

What is pride without hot men and drag queens?  This float was all about safe sex and remembering that you can be safe and still have fun!

 This was probably my favorite demonstration.  A nun riding a motorcycle with Jesus on the back.  I think my partner and I laughed for way too long after this demonstration went through.  It just sets to remind everyone that Jesus said nothing about gay people.  His only two commandments were "Love the Lord your God" and "Love thy neighbor as thyself". 

 This was pretty cool.  Unfortunately, I'm unsure what exactly these people were supporting, but the float people were attached in such a way that as the puppeteer moved, so did every part of the puppet.  It was awesome to see them all dance down the street!


I included this picture because I thought it was a unique advertisement.  The drag queen is holding the product, showing off that not only are they gay friendly but that they are here and willing to sell to you.  It stuck me as such a great idea to drum up business!

Of course with pride comes protesters.  What is an exciting event in a gays life without someone there shouting about how they are going to hell?

These assholes hung out at the corner where we were standing.  There was a lady who kept trying to get involved in the parade or stand across the street near us that was constantly being told that she could not be in the crowd.  She was not happy, but she kept going back over there.

This was at the end of the parade.  I'm pretty sure the city had to let them march, and thus they put them at the end.  The last float that went past kinda signaled that the crowd should follow him.  We hung back a bit, because one person in our group has a history of annoying protesters so he jumped at the chance to live up to his image.  He lived up to said image.

All in all pride was awesome!  Good people, good times, and hilarious entertainment.  We went to pride village after the parade but of course my phone died so I got no pictures there. We did get swag, which is always nice. 
The last picture from our pride experience.  Pretty fitting if you ask me!  (and yes, that is a real street sign, it was not created for pride or anything!)

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment