Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Of budgets, menus, and a new year

So it is finally New Year's Eve.  When did that happen?  How has this year just flown by?  Holy cow!  I remember my grandmother telling me when I was young "Don't wish your life away.  As you get older you start wishing for it to slow down, but it's too late.  Enjoy it."  And I understand what she meant now. 

So on this New Year's Eve I am sitting here taking stock of things in my life and things I have to do still.  I am sitting on the couch surrounded by those I love and those that love me and it is amazing.  My partner is sleeping on the couch next to me.  Between us is our cuddle dog.  On the stairs in front of me is our not so cuddle dog.  He is passed out on his back, feet running in the air as he dreams of the next rabbit he will chase.  Today we also have a visiting doggie and she is sacked out on the floor.  And I am so content with life.  It is nice.

While everyone else is sleeping in the house, I am working on things needed to start 2015 off right.  First on that list is our budget.  I hate budgeting.  I hate it with a passion.  But when you live on one income, it is vitally important.  I am making the preliminary budget based off our last year budget.  We didn't get a raise this year, so it's going to end up being less extra money this year.  We do a modified envelope system, making it work for us.  We put everything on our credit card and pay it off every month.  So instead of pulling money out of our bank account, we use play money.  It works well for us.  We keep the envelopes in the kitchen and pull money out each week to match our budget. 

The second important thing is our menu.  I am trying so hard to create fun and exciting menus for the new year.  I am struggling for some reason.  When you change your eating habits sometimes it's hard to make a menu but it shouldn't be, and I know this.  There are tons of resources online which I think might be my problem.  I am finding too much stuff and my brain isn't able to make it all work.  Ahhhhhh.

I am also trying to make a blogging schedule so I can keep this thing going and make everyone happy.  This is proving nearly impossible.  

Tonight we have plans to go to a friend's house and celebrate quietly.  No raucous parties, no drinking till you are sloshed.  Just a bon fire, some good eats, and great friends.  May your new year be ever better than before.  

So this new year's eve I am spending my time preparing for the new year as best I can.  What are you doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment