Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Today I wrote a prologue

In the writing world there are people of all types.  And each one of those peeps likes to give you advice.  One of the writing peeps in my world has a piece of advice she is famous for, "Don't write prologues.  No one cares."  Seriously, if you lived here and asked who was a local writer who said that, everyone would point to her.  She's not mean about it or anything, that is just how she feels. 

I, however, do not feel the same way.

I love opening a book and seeing what is written before the story starts.  Prologues to me should be short, but they tell me if I'm going to get sucked in to reading this book.  I feel like when I find a great prologue, I can't wait to get to the part of the story that the prologue is foreshadowing.

So today, I wrote a prologue for my current sci fi young adult novel.  I feel like we have had so much going on in our lives lately, that I hope to share on this blog someday.  I also feel like I have neglected my story in the worst way possible.  So today, this morning to be exact, I sat down before my shower and set out to write 250 words.  What I ended up writing was my prologue. 

And I am proud of it!  I hope to share it some day soon, and I will, but right now it's just sitting in my first edits binder waiting for the rest of the story to get as far.  I have 3 of my planned 9 chapters in that binder, I need to get cracking.

I do have a plan to do a post about my first edit binder, giving away a secret of mine, and on story planning.  After today, I hope to get to gettin' on these posts!

Do you enjoy prologues? 

Until Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment