Friday, November 7, 2014

Shaking things up a bit!

So, I am shaking things up a bit.  Basically I took pretty pictures of my stir fry the other night and decided I would put it on the blog!  Aren't you excited?  (Okay, yeah, no one is nearly as excited as I am about food.)  But these are, in my humble opinion, very pretty pictures.  I am not a professional photographer, nor do I play one on the Internet.  These are merely some joe-schmoe's supper pictures.  I think you can appreciate that!

So I made stir fry the other night.  It was delicious.  I'll give you a mark up of the recipe, but understand that I really don't measure, unless I'm baking.  So please taste everything and adjust as needed.  Also, we are attempting to be primal in our eating.  This is basically paleo light.  We have cut out most grains from our diet.  So everything we use is gluten free, but I'm pretty sure it'll work with everything.  We are not purists, this recipe has soy sauce in it (I can hear people gasping!) and you know what?  It was good.

Key:
T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon


Ingredients:
1.5 T  Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
1.5 T  Rice wine vinegar
1 T  Hoisen Sauce
2 t  Mirin
2 t  Sweet red chili sauce
1 T  Honey
2 pound flank steak (or skirt steak, or whatever steak, or even chicken)
a couple heads of broccoli
2 Carrots matchsticked
half a green pepper, matchsticked
half an orange pepper, matchsticked
half a yellow pepper, matchsticked
any other veggies you want to throw in (seriously, snap pears would probably be delicious!  We've also added water chestnuts as well for crunch!)


Isn't that broccoli pretty?

Recipe:
Mix all the sauces together.  Take 1/3 of the sauce and reserve it for later use. 
Cut the flank steak into strips, thinner is better than thicker. 
Place the cut up steak into the 2/3 remaining sauce, allow to marinate in the fridge for an hour (or less, or more, up to about 8 hours I would think.  The longer you can marinate the yummier it is!)
Heat a wok or large pan on the stove to a nice medium high.
Please a couple tablespoons oil of choice into the wok
Put meat into the wok and brown on all sides.
Remove meat and put in a bit more oil and the veggies
Once veggies are cooked to your liking (we like a little snap, but not much), put the meat back in and pour over the reserved sauce.
Heat till everything is warm.
Serve

The pretty stir fry.. and the picture that started this whole post!

Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment