Saturday, April 19, 2014

Humans and animals

Look at that little face!  Melts your heart!
 Have you ever noticed we as humans have a huge spot in our hearts for animals of every kind?  I know we do in this household.  The boys have been here pretty much as long as we've owned our house.  It's astonishing to me that we moved in and of all the things we could have gone out to gotten, we adopted two shelter dogs!

I find the connection between humans and animals to be so interesting.  I find myself spending so much time sitting outside with the stinky dogs.  Making sure they are well fed, well taken care of, gotten all the loves they can handle, and I wouldn't have it any other way!  These are my boys.

It's not just me, though.  I know quite a few animal owners.  They are just like me, making sure their pets are so well rounded that they have no clue they own their human.  I absolutely love hearing their animals stories.  It makes me feel a little more normal to know that they snuggle their pets and stop what they are doing to play with them as well. 

The thing I find the most challenging about owning dogs?  Keeping their minds from getting bored.  Why?  Because when they get bored, we get destroyed things.  Our fox hound mix once put 3 holes in the wall, simply because we had a person renting a room from us moving out and not paying him any attention!  Three holes we had to spend quite a bit of time patching and painting and painting and painting.  Our corgi mix is smarter than most humans I know, so he is also a great challenge.  Those challenge toys you can buy in the store?  Yeah, they mean nothing to him.  He figures them out the minute we bring them home, eats his treats, than goes to find trouble.  He's figured out how to open the gates, turn locks when you don't have them latched, how to open his kennel latches, and how to thwart the rabbit fence we put around the garden.  If you leave him too long, I'm sure he'll figure out how to open doors and cook himself some chicken.

The corgi mix is also the leader of the pack.  He is merely 5 weeks older than the fox hound mix, but he is the boss dammit.  His order of pack leaders is also amusing, to me anyway.  See the house hierarchy according to the corgi is the fox hound mix at the bottom, then the corgi, then my partner, then me.  I get to be the leader of the pack.  It gives my partner quite a complex cause the dogs should put the partner at the top of the list, but alas that honor is mine!  I enjoy it immensely.

It's always amazing to me the lengths people will go for their pets.  I wouldn't have it any other way in my household. 



photo credit: evocateur via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment