Saturday, May 17, 2014

Character Thumbnail

So reading through the writing for dummies books, one big thing they talk about a lot of is getting to know your main characters.  So I figured I would sketch out a bit about my different characters in hopes of helping you sketch out yours. 

The Main Character Thumbnail seems very interesting to me.  You basically answer 5 questions about your main character and as you progress through the chapter you turn that thumbnail in to a full character bio.  I figured I'd do a couple of them for my characters and as I progress through the chapter I will post new posts which will hopefully, hopefully, end with a full character bio! 

Character Thumbnails:

Name and age: Kent and he is roughly 15 for the majority of the story.
Need/want: Kent wants to understand the new planet, and needs validation from his parents
Consequences of Failure: Not carrying forward humanity, failing his parents, death
Key flaw: Kent has a short temper and is very insecure about things
Core strength: Kent is loyal.

Name and age: Naomi, she is roughly 13 throughout the story
Need/want: She wants to fit in while being a strong, independent woman
Consequences of Failure: death of humanity and herself
Key flaw: Naomi is very secretive, untrusting of everyone and everything she meets.
Core strength: Naomi is tough.

Name and age: Nash, 7
Need/want: To live life to the fullest, wants to grow up to be awesome
Consequences of Failure: sadness
Key flaw: He is 7, his biggest flaw is forgetting what his mom says.
Core strength: Nash is a small boy with a big heart.

So there are three character thumbnails I've put together so far.  Kent and Naomi come from the same book, my Sci-fi young adult novel.  Nash comes from my children's book series idea.  Hopefully writing around these characters and fleshing them out in ways I haven't done before will lead me to a publishing contract... hopefully.

Until Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment